Join The Genesee County Chamber in Celebrating the Arts!
The Genesee County Chamber of Commerce & Visitor Center is pleased to share in celebrating the arts in Genesee County! Our tourism website calendar features hundreds of musical events, artisan workshops, exhibits, and more for you to enjoy! Whether you want to dig in and create something yourself or be inspired by those who do, our community offers something for everyone! We invite you to join us in supporting our local arts community. Below are some of the great places to explore. Find a full list of locations in the Arts section of our website.
You’ll be surprised at what you’ll find at our local arts council! Located at the historic Seymore Place in downtown Batavia, the Genesee-Orleans Regional Arts Council (GO ART!) is a community organization that promotes art and culture and provides a range of opportunities for local artists. They’re also the sponsor of Arts Awareness Month! GO ART! holds classes, exhibitions, educational seminars and provide an ever-changing collection of artisan exhibits in their gallery.
GO ART!'s on-site Tavern 2.o.1 is open Thursdays and Fridays from 5-9pm for you to sit and enjoy craft beverage and other specialty drinks. On Saturdays from 9am-noon the space becomes Café 2.o.1 serving fair trade coffees from all around the world utilizing French press and pour-over techniques - bring your beverage into their newly developed "Owen Library" and curl up in a cozy armchair with a book.
During the warmer months, be sure to make a visit to their unique Play Me A Tune Music Garden, located just outside . These weather-resistant instruments from England are available to play during GO ART!’s open hours. Also, enjoy the murals in the music garden by Jill Pettigrew (with help from members of the community and the Batavia Senior Center).
Genesee Community College
The Center for the Arts at Genesee Community College includes the 328-seat Stuart Steiner Theatre and the 1,700 Rosalie “Roz” Steiner Art Gallery. The Center provides the community with dramatic productions, art exhibitions, Genesee Symphony Orchestra concerts, literary readings, dances, and lectures.
The Main Street 56 Theatre has a new home in the heart of downtown Batavia, in the Batavia City Center! Walk to area restaurants before or after enjoying an affordable, quality production by the Batavia Players - now celebrating their 90th year! Enjoy everything from a Shakespearean play to a modern musical! They have a lot planned for the 2022 season even though they are still in a temporary space. The new state-of-the-art theater will be finished later this year, but for now enter through the back door (next to Batavia Family Dental).
Batavia Society of Artists
The Batavia Society of Artists is a local group that encourages the artistic endeavors of area artists through exhibitions, art demonstrations, discussion groups, and lectures. Throughout the month of March the group is sponsoring a Tabletop ArtShow: Selected pieces, from local artists will adorn the walls of Eli Fish Brewing Company and tabletops of over 20 local restaurants!
For those who prefer a more "hands-on" art experience, you'll find many locations across the county to try your hand at something new. Check out all that’s going on at the following locations:
- Country Cottage: A hidden gem tucked off Route 20, Country Cottage is chock full of unique gifts and handmade decorative items. Stop by and unleash your whimsical side as your browse through the aisles. Almost everything you’ll find is handmade with care by artisans, and there’s always time for a stop at the pond out back. They'll reopen for the season on March 15!
- Fired Up: Ready to Paint Ceramics. Located on Ellicott Street, Fired Up is the go-to place for all your ceramics needs. Stop by and paint a squirrel, elephant, plate, or whatever strikes your fancy! All ceramics are handmade by the owners in their home and brought to the shop for your painting pleasure. Guests are welcome to stay and paint or take the item home to decorate there. You can also bring your own paints, so each color is just right.
- Karen’s Yarn, Paper, Scissors: If yarn is your preferred method of crafting, Karen’s is the perfect place for you. Stocked with yarn beyond any knitter’s wildest dreams, Karen’s hosts how-to classes for crocheting, as well as wreathes, painting and more.
- Liberty Arts: Liberty Arts is a place where kids, youth, and adults of all ages can come to freely explore their God-given creativity. They offer classes, events, and lessons.
- The Art of Mandy: The Art of Mandy is a teaching studio and art gallery committed to learning in an entertaining environment for all ages - because you’re never too old to be an artist! The studio specializes in a variety of art mediums to explore methods in acrylics, chalks, pastels, oil and watercolor paints. They offer group and individual art lessons, pottery painting, paint parties, sip-and-paint nights, and much more!
With so many great places to get crafty, there’s no better time to stop by one – or all – of Genesee County’s great studios and shops. Classes, events and exhibits can be found on our events calendar year-round, so gather up your smocks, brushes, and favorite paints colors and have fun!