9 Things to do in Genesee County that are Free, Nearly Free, or under $10!
1. Visit a farm - get to know our Alpacas! (Nearly Free: donations accepted)
Our Alpaca farms are open to visitors year round, just call ahead to schedule a visit. Most farms will accept a donation for your visit and allows your kiddos to feed, pet and walk the alpacas. Live alpacas, yarn, textiles and handmade alpaca fiber products items are just some of what you’ll find at these wonderful farms!
- Alpaca Delights, East Bethany: 585.300.7419
- Enchanted Forest Alpacas, LeRoy: 585.768.7219
- Northwoods Alpacas, Bergen: 585.494.1371
- Triple B’s Alpaca Farm, Darien Center: 585.547.9271
2. Hit the beach! ($7.00 per car, free after 5pm)
While not known for our white, sandy beaches in Upstate, NY, we hold one of the regions, “best kept secrets.” Darien Lakes State Park is home to a serene sandy beach with clear water and blue skies! Be sure to check out this, never crowded, always relaxing hidden gem! Pack a picnic, pack a pole, spend the day!
3. Be amazed on Aug. 10thwith “New Moon Meteor Shower” ($10 for the family)
Get the best seats in the county for the New Moon Meteor Shower! For only $5 ($10/family) at the Genesee County Park you can listen to stories about our summertime constellations and watch the spectacular shooting star display. Contact the park to reserve your spot!
4. Discover Local Heritage (Most are free: Donations Accepted)
Visit an 1843 school house bursting with artifacts, an 1842 farmhouse museum that has a learning center for children, or a museum founded by 7thgraders with artifacts from their grandparents. All this and more can be found on our listing of over a dozen county-wide museums: HERE. Learn about our forefathers, early farming and industry, famous citizens, Civil War involvement and more.
5. Paddle through Nature (Totally Free!)
A wonderful way to experience the beauty of area is by dropping a kayak or canoe into the water.
- The 12-acre Harlow Lake at Darien Lakes State Park has daily public access from 6am-10pm for non-motorized watercraft.
- Explore the primitive beauty of Oak Orchard Creek at the Iroquois National Wildlife Refuge. Canoes, kayaks and non-motorized fishing boats may access the creek between Knolesville Rd. & Rt. 63 in the town of Alabama.
- At Kiwanis Park in Batavia, the John T. Obrien Canoe Launch has an easy drop-in channel that flows into the 90-mile Tonawanda Creek.
- In East Pembroke there is an unmarked launch but it is less than 100 yards east of the fire hall that has an easy pull in space to paddle through forests and open fields.
- Off Munson Street at the Red Bridge Area in LeRoy there is easy access onto Oatka Creek (areas upstream and downstream from the bride). Launches are on the east side fo the creek, with the upstream launch adjacent to a parking area and creek overlook.
6. Try Disc Golf this Summer (Under $10.00)
Disk Golf has also grown in popularity over the last several years. Darien Lakes State Park is home to the Angry Apple Disc Golf Course. The course, officially established in June of 2012, is rapidly drawing more players to the park each day to test their disc golf skills while having fun on the 18-hole course, which weaves its way through a tranquil old apple orchard. Hartland Park in the town of Bergen, NY has a nice 9-hole short course that is lightly wooded with water-filled ditch running down the middle with a few baskets taking advantage of the moderate elevation changes.
7. Don’t Miss the 30th Annual Oatka Festival! (No Admission Fee)
Each year the Oatka Festival, held on the banks of the scenic Oatka Creek, starts off with a gala musical parade. Many local churches and organizations provide the food choices and the continuous entertainment is family-oriented. Commercial and craft vendors offer a variety of shopping opportunities and the local restaurants host events with live music and dining specials.
8. Enjoy Free Outdoor Summer Concerts! (Totally Free!)
Nearly every night of the week in Genesee County you can find a free outdoor concert to enjoy. Bring a lawn chair or blanket and enjoy the night!
- Tuesdays (June 26 – September 2) Darien Lakes State Park Concerts, Darien Center
- Wednesdays (July & August): Batavia Concert Band in Centennial Park , Batavia
- Thursdays (July & August) Live Music in Trigon Park, LeRoy
- Fridays (July & August) Jackson Square Concerts, Batavia
9. Mini Golf is fun for the whole family! (Under $10)
Have you been to the new & improved mini golf course at Terry Hills Golf Course in Batavia? The course is fun for all ages and a perfect location for your next birthday party, date night or outing with the kids!
For more fun things to see and do in and around Genesee County this summer, stop by our office for free visitor guides - 8276 Park Road, Batavia NY 14020 - 585-344-4152.